Friday, November 7, 2008

Aldo Rossi – Analogical Architecture

For Rossi, “analogical thought is sensed yet unreal, imagined yet silent… and practically inexpressible in words.” I think I might have to agree that his architecture is “analogical.” Even as I was reading Moneo’s article I had to write simple equations to keep his ideas straight:
form and style = urban facts
city = image by politics through architecture
proportion = relationship of measures -> value
lives = rituals + customs + situations -> history
construction = relationship of elements -> architecture
autonomy of architecture = discipline, way of thinking as spatial order
a building = achievement of architecture
It’s as if Rossi had to develop his own meaning for these words in order to communicate his theory. I think this is pretty cool, but I think I might need to go the Modena Cemetery for me to like it…

No comments: